Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I've decided to end my (or, more fittingly, your) AL East blog fasting early

At first, I was just lazy, trying to get up the nerve to actually start writing my baseball blog, you know, DURING THE BASEBALL SEASON. Well, with the exception of that little Bronson Arroyo thing on 4/5 . . .

But then, after about a week of the season had passed, I decided to make my delay have a purpose, I decided that I would not post to my blog until Manny finally had his first home run. Well last night he had his first extra-base hit AND his first 3 RBI game. I know, I know, that's pocket change to Man Ram. Hey, I needed an excuse to break my silence.

In the meantime, rookie Jonathan Papelbon has been NAILS on the mound as the Sox closer so far this season, making his 7th save in 7 chances last night, barely!

In the meantime, in my fantasy league I picked up Kevin Youkilis on the waiver wire (All Star possibility?) this past Sunday because some bonehead dropped him (huh, I thought this was a fantasy league full of Sox fans!). Since I already have Berkman playing first quite well, and Youk is eligible at third, I may just be putting A-Rod on the trading block, perhaps for Schilling or Beckett.

In the meantime, Curt Schilling has been nearly as perfect as Mr. Papelbon. In three starts, Curt has given up 4 earned runs, 11 hits, and only 3 walks, while striking out 16. That puts his ERA at 1.64, good enough for third in the AL. Oh, one of the guys tied for first happens to be Josh Beckett. What I love the most about the Sox pitching situation isn't the fact that everyone has either been nails (Papelbon, Schilling, Beckett) or shown sign of greatness (Wakefield, Clement, Timlin), it's that Schilling is playing his mentor role to a TEE!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe this is why it's taken him so long!!!!

10:10 AM, April 19, 2006  
Blogger David Welch said...

I thought about that, which is one of the reasons I gave him a break. So, if he goes on a mashing spree over the next few weeks, you can attribute that to me, too.

10:19 AM, April 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home