Monday, March 27, 2006

I guess you heard it here first (also, Bronson Arroyo, a class act)

When I said on Friday
"Let's see Foulke pitch like that against the Blue Jays tomorrow, and I'll say the Sox are ready to kick ass this season!"
I did not mean that he had to do EXACTLY the same thing against the Jays as he did against the Orioles AAA team. I mean, I would have settled for a 1-2-3 inning, or even a lone baserunner getting stranded. But, striking out the side for the second straight day on exactly 13 pitches again! What the fuck are the chances of that?

I have to share this piece with you. I found it buried at the end of a piece called Early look at the class of '06.
Displaced, misplaced pitcher
While the stat analysts look at Wily Mo Peña at 24 and see a young Sammy Sosa (or Dave Kingman) the number-crunchers look less kindly on what the Reds can expect to get from Bronson Arroyo. Here's Joe Sheehan in Baseball Prospectus: ''As much as I've talked up Arroyo in the past, he's established himself as a mid-rotation innings guy and he's about to move to a context that will absolutely kill him. Great American Ball Park is a terrible spot for pitchers, and when you consider that the Reds, even adjusting for ballpark, put a lousy defensive team on the field, Arroyo is going to see his numbers take a hit. Even if he rebounds from a poor second half of 2005 in which his strikeout rate plummeted, it's hard to see Arroyo as more than an affordable stopgap for the Reds. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to determine what word in the previous sentence means the most to Arroyo's new team." But can we all agree that Arroyo could not have handled his parting any better, stopping short of lashing out at the Sox, though it would have been understandable to do so?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home